This is a special event hosted by the Baha'is of Kamloops and is in collaboration with the TRUSU Swing Dance Club. It is a community building endeavor based on the theme of unity and the elimination of prejudice. It's an opportunity for us to showcase Lindy Hop culture and our club values, so come out and show your dancing spirit!!
There will be a 15 minute presentation on "Swing Dancing History - The Elimination of Racial Prejudice" at 4:00pm followed by a 1 hour beginner lesson. There will be 30 minutes of open dance floor before the potluck begins at 6:00pm. From then on, dancing, board games, food, and socializing will carry on until 9:30pm.
Please bring a potluck item and invite your friends, family, and co-workers of all ages!
For more information or to register for the conference, which actually runs for 3 days from April 14-16th, follow the links below:
Facbook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1272320512816427/
- No previous dance experience or partner required
- A social dance is a place to have fun, make new friends and create & share special connections with each partner
- After the lesson we have an open dance floor, playing swing & big band jazz music from the 20’s – 40’s as well as some modern swing bands.
- On the social dance floor, we are safe and free to truly express ourselves. We want an atmosphere that encourages everyone’s personality to shine, free of any judgement or criticism. We believe that there is no right way to dance, only a way to dance.
- Attire: There is no “wrong” way to dress at a dance—we just ask that you bring clean shoes. We would also recommend comfy sneakers; heals might not be that comfortable as Lindy Hop can be very energetic. There are a few formal themed dances, so those are a great time to dress fancy—but feel free to dress fancy whenever you please!
- We do not tolerate or allow alcohol
- We love beginners!