We are currently a registered TRU Club, called “TRUSU Swing Dance Club” but are looking to expand our reach to the whole Kamloops community.
Our Values are Fun & Friendly
- We are a community that values inclusiveness, friendship, and fun.
- We believe that everyone can learn how to swing dance, despite what dance experience you have or don’t have. We do our very best to teach swing dance in the most enjoyable, friendly, and understandable way possible.
- We warmly welcome people of all ages and skill levels. We don’t expect any sort of commitment if you would simply like to drop in here and there.
- In addition to dancing, we like to have social events like board game nights, potlucks and dinners!
Our two main instructors are:
Justin fell deeply in love with swing dancing when he started dancing in Grand Prairie and since then has taken every opportunity to dance and learn more. He has traveled across Canada to take workshops and danced to the best music on the planet. He loves dancing with everyone and sharing his love of this magical dance with beginners. He is known for his enthusiasm and creativity and brings energy to every room he enters.
- Attended 6 Lindy Hop workshops, 3 of them being international workshops, learning from the world’s best Lindy Hoppers from USA, Germany, and Australia
- Taken private lessons & teacher development courses with some of the world’s best Lindy Hop instructors, including: Jenny Shirar, Christian Frommelt, and Shane McCarthy
- Placed 1st in a blindfold Jack n Jill competition in Grande Prairie’s Swing Into Spring weekend, and placed 2nd in a Strictly Lindy competition in Edmonton’s Spring Fling weekend
Bonnie has been dancing as long as she can remember and was excited to start learning once Justin arrived in Kamloops from a summer of dancing in Grand Prairie. Together they started teaching lessons and sharing this fun, inclusive dance, traveling to learn more and running Kamloops’ first swing dance workshops. Since then, she has traveled for dancing and become a real up-and-comer in the Canadian swing dance scene. Bonnie is known for enthusiasm and exuberance and is always excited to learn and share new things. Her students really enjoy the energy she brings to her classes.
- Attended 3 workshops, 2 of them being international learning from the world’s best Lindy Hoppers
- Aside from Lindy Hop, she has a strong background in ballet and many types of latin ballroom